It’s harvest time, and that means an abundance of corn. This tasty dish combines the sweetness of corn with the peppery pungent taste of cumin and the kick of chili powder. You’ll love the cornucopia of complex flavors.
Makes 4 servings
4 medium ears of corn, shucked
½ cup red onion, minced
1 tsp. chili powder
½ tsp. ground cumin
½ red bell pepper, seeded and diced
½ green bell pepper, seeded and diced
1 large plum tomato, seeded and diced
3 Tbsp. fresh cilantro, chopped
1 Tbsp. olive oil
1 Tbsp. white wine vinegar
1/8 tsp. salt (optional)
freshly ground pepper (to taste)
1. Using a large pot, boil corn in water for 3 minutes. Let cool. Cut kernels off cobs and put into a large bowl. There should be approximately 2 cups of corn.
2. Coat a pan with cooking spray. Sauté onion until soft. Add cumin and chili powder and sauté for one more minute. Remove from heat.
3. Combine the following in the bowl with the corn: sautéed onion mixture, tomato, red and green bell pepper, and cilantro. Toss well.
4. Using a small dish or cup, combine the following: vinegar, oil, salt and pepper. Drizzle onto of the salad.
5. Serve salad at room temperature. Enjoy!
Serving Size: approximately 3/4 cup
Calories – 129
Fat – 4 g
Saturated Fat – 0.6 g
Cholesterol – 0
Sodium – 16 mg
Carbohydrates – 23 g
Fiber – 4 g
Protein – 3 g
Carbohydrate = 1 ½
Bread/starch = 1
Fat = 1
Vegetable = 1
Photo: Ann Harbor